Is it true that having a steller About Me page is critical for blogging success?
Bloggers swear that, besides your home page, your About Me is the most visited area of your site. In all honesty, though, my About Me page gets very few hits. It’s definitely not the first thing you see when googling Tinker Bell’s Treasure.
Still, I agree that most bloggers need a place where they introduce themselves to their readers (and possible collaborators) and tell them why they are unique in the blogosphere.
Maybe it’s corny, but I fully believe that every person has a story to tell.
It doesn’t matter who you are, which school you attended, or what passions you purse, your voice deserves to be heard.
But I also know that writing an About Me page can be difficult, especially for those with quiet personalities (aka introverts) like myself.
Tip 1: Introduce Yourself!
Whether it’s a curious reader or a brand interested in working with you, whoever clicks your About Me page most likely wants to learn more about you. So introduce yourself!
Answer some questions like,
- What got you started collecting dolls?
- Do you collect playscale dolls, 18-inch dolls, or both?
- Which brands do you prefer?
- What kind of content do you publish? Toy news? Reviews? Craft tutorials?
- Do you sell doll clothes or furniture on Etsy?
- What other toys do you collect?
Contrary to popular blogging opinions, I think people like reading stories (I know I do!). So go ahead and tell yours.
Friendly chitchat is a great way to show you’re a real person and establishes that special connection between you and your reader. Personally, I love finding out that there’s another 28-year-old girl who enjoys strolling down the toy aisle and picking up a Barbie (or two) for herself!
Tip 2: Show Me Some Pics!
Does your blog need a profile pic? Pro bloggers say yes. They say that people like putting a face with a name, which means having a profile picture is a must.
However, I’m one of those camera-shy girls who will go to great lengths to avoid taking photos. The idea of posting my silly grin on the internet makes my stomach churn.
Luckily, I’m not the only one. Other lady bloggers share my photo-phobia and have discovered clever ways to create discreet, non-goofy profile pictures.
Profile Pic Tips:
- Don’t stare directly at the camera. Try looking down or off to the side.
- Hide your face by holding something in front of it, like a camera, book, flowers, etc. (Extra points for using something related to your niche!)
- Wear a disguise. You know what that means fellow Marvel geeks! Time to break out the caps and sunglasses!
- Use a photo filter. Photo filters help hide imperfections and are a great way to show off your personality. Do you love vintage elements? Use a sepia or greyscale filter! Maybe you want to give off a cheery vibe? Try a summer or rosy filter!
My personal favorites are drama and epic.
- A professionally taken photo is nice, but not required. A simple selfie will suffice.
Also, don’t forget that we doll bloggers have a secret weapon for profile pictures–our dolls! That’s right! If you abhor the idea of posting pictures of yourself, then don’t. Let your doll be your site’s ambassador.
Tinkerbell has long been the face of this blog. While I have finally added a photo of myself to my own About Me page, her portrait is still my go-to for sidebar pics!
Tip 3: Make It You-nique
About Me pages are everywhere, so it’s important to make yours stand out. Let your personality shine. Be opinionated and show what makes your site different.
Here are a few simple ways to jazz up your About Me page:
- Create images with your favorite quotes.
- Make a video introduction.
- Add memes to make people laugh.
- Use a bulleted list for easy reading.
- Create an infographic illustrating your adventures (kind of like Draw My Life but with graphics).
- Add links to your top posts and pages.
- Spread the love and showcase the blogs you follow.
Remember to write the way you speak. Are you a goofy gal (or guy)? Then tell jokes! And don’t fret about sounding awkward if you’re shy. Again, it just reiterates the fact that you’re human.
Tip 4: Don’t Overcomplicate It.
You want to know one of my dirty secrets? I am a major overcomplicator!
I bet I could publish at least two posts a week if my perfectionism didn’t cloud the process. As you can guess, this made writing my About Me page all the more difficult😕.
I couldn’t stop overanalyzing each word!
Finally, I came across the best bit of blogging advice ever–
STOP OVERTHINKING IT!
Your About Me page isn’t supposed to be a professionally written autobiography. It’s just fun tidbits telling others who you are and why you blog.
Yes, definitely check for spelling errors and grammar mistakes, but don’t drive yourself crazy trying to create the perfect introduction. Relax and write as if you’re conversing with a friend.
Tip 5: Keep It Updated.
Whether it’s tweaking paragraphs so they flow better or deleting stuff that no longer pertains to your site, you’ll need to revisit your About Me page from time to time and update it.
Maybe you started out by talking about everything doll related, then later decided to focus solely on one topic (like doll reviews)? Or maybe your topic is too narrow and you want to broaden your horizons?
Whatever the case, blogs evolve and, as they do, it’s important your About Me page to stay up to date. Make sure your site’s goals are still clear, your links still work, and that visitors have a way of contacting you.
*Bonus Tip*–Add A Call To Action:
You want to engage with your audience so don’t forget to include a Call To Action or CTA. Tell your readers what you’d like them to do next.
Ask them to subscribe to your blog or sign up for your newsletter. Add clickable links to your social media accounts and encourage them to follow you.
Now that I think about it, I better go update my own About Me page (forgot about those social media buttons😬)!
Now it’s your turn!
Do often read a blog’s About Me pages? How important do you think it is to have one? Be sure to share your thoughts in the comment section!